Brazilian Pork Chops in Orange Sauce
- 4 100% New Zealand pork loin chops
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin seeds, grated fresh ginger, dried oregano and minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric, paprika, mustard powder and ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins (or sultanas)
- 2 oranges
- Place the chops in a plastic bag or bowl.
- Mix together all the herbs and spices and sprinkle over the chops.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan and quickly brown the chops on both sides.
- Place in lidded saucepan or casserole dish.
- Brown the onions and stir in the orange juice and water.
- Pour over the chops and add the raisins.
- Simmer in lidded pot or pre-heated oven (165°C) for one hour.>
- Zest the orange skin and cut orange into quarter’s and then 1 cm slices.
- Place zest and segments above chops and cook a further 15 minutes.
This dish can also be made in a slow cooker on low for 7 hours.